Go To www.mercedesbenz4x4.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OEM Spare Tire Cover Lock Extender

3 posters

Go down

OEM Spare Tire Cover Lock Extender Empty OEM Spare Tire Cover Lock Extender

Post by Thai Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Hey all,

I am currently making a lock extension for the OEM spare tire cover. Basically, it is piece of stainless steel thingy that extends the reach of the lock so that you can fit 32" tire while still using the OEM cover. NOTE: This extender allows you to use 265/75/16 or 265/65/18 tires with your OEM steel cover...it does NOT let you use wider tires and/or bigger than 32" tires.

I am copying BOWEICK's idea seen in this thread: http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=10595&start=1&highlight=spare+tire&highlightmode=1

I am making 4 of them from my local metal shop. I should have them by Wednesday. I am going to sell the remaining 3 for $40 (includes shipping).

BTW, i am making a whopping $5 to $8 profit (depending on shipping) each! With this profit, I am going to have a shopping spree at the Dollar store!

Anyone interested? If there are more than 3 people interested, then i can make more, but TELL ME ASAP so that i can make all of this in one batch (to keep price low).
Thai
Thai
Founding Member
Founding Member

Number of posts : 8
Vehicle(s) : 2004 Mercedes G500
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

OEM Spare Tire Cover Lock Extender Empty Spare Extender ...

Post by Indiana Drew Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Thi:

Sounds like a good idea - I never tried to see how large I could get mine. I don't need one, but glad you have had some made. I'm off in a few days from Indiana back down to Houston. Let me know when you are taking another off road trip - your videos all look good!
Indiana Drew
Indiana Drew
Founding Member
Founding Member

Number of posts : 9
Vehicle(s) : 2002 G500 1980 280GE

Back to top Go down

OEM Spare Tire Cover Lock Extender Empty Re: OEM Spare Tire Cover Lock Extender

Post by Thai Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, i just got my above thingy...it works beautifully! The guy also did a great job in terms of look (cleaner than Boweick's) and is a hefty piece of SS. I will take pics of it tomorrow. Finally, i will have 5 same size tires (32"; 265/75/16 BFG AT KO). Smile

Maggot emailed me too late...so, i only had 1 made. Hopefully, someone else can step up to the plate in the future to offer it. IMHO, $30 is dirt cheap compared to the expensive alternatives (reverse mount about $400; Karl's spare storage about $300). With this adaptor, i have the OEM look (which i really like) while still can carry junk inside the cover (similar to Karl's storage unit). I don't plan on using bigger tires than 32" because of rub issue and, possibly, gearing/ESP issues. So, this mod is probably my last mod for a long time on my G with maybe the exception of a rear bumper in the distant future.

Again, i would like to express my thanks to Boweick...a simple solution to a complex (for me) problem. Smile
Thai
Thai
Founding Member
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando BR Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks Thai , mine was a prototype that works so nice in the test that i stay with it withouth finishiment . Anyway its not so visible and its strong ( i made a lot of offroad and its is ok ).

Post a pic of yours that when i will change my G500 s grabber at2 265/70/R16 to something 265 /75 or 32.... i will improve idea with your design.

Happy that it works well for you !!!

Fernando
Fernando BR
Fernando BR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Number of posts : 5
Vehicle(s) : G500/06 300GE/91

Back to top Go down

Post by Thai Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:02 pm

How do i attach pics??
Thai
Thai
Founding Member
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando BR Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Thai wrote:How do i attach pics??

The figure at the left sife of the pic - where there is a pic and a file simbol.
Fernando BR
Fernando BR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Number of posts : 5
Vehicle(s) : G500/06 300GE/91

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down